VA Health Benefits for Home Care

All enrolled Veterans are eligible for Home and Community Based Services. However, to get the service you need to have a clinical and financial need for it and be enrolled in VA Health Benefits. Possible services include:

  • Geriatric Evaluation to assess your care needs and to create a care plan
  • Adult Day Health Care
  • Homemaker and Home Health Aide Care
  • Respite Care
  • Skilled Home Health Care

How do I apply for VA Health Benefits?

If you are not currently receiving health benefits through the VA, you will need to be enrolled before you can receive Home Care services.

There are several different ways that you can apply.

Online: You can go to the Apply for VA Health Care page and enter your information online.

Phone: You can call 877-222-8387 and get assistance with your application over the phone.

In person: You can go to your nearest VA medical center or clinic. Be sure to bring the signed Application for Health Benefits (VA Form 10-10EZ) with you.

Mail: Fill out an Application for Health Benefits (VA Form 10-10EZ) and send it to this address:
Health Eligibility Center
PO Box 5207
Janesville, WI 53547-5207

What information do I need when applying for VA Health Benefits?

To apply, you will need the following information:

  • Social Security numbers for you, your spouse, and your qualified dependents.
  • Your military discharge papers (DD214 or other separation documents), military service history information, and details about exposure to any toxins or other hazards.
  • Insurance card information for all insurance companies that cover you, including any coverage provided through a spouse or significant other. This includes Medicare, private insurance, or insurance from your employer.
  • Gross household income from the previous calendar year for you, your spouse, and your dependents. This includes income from a job and any other sources. Gross household income is your income before taxes and any other deductions.
  • Your deductible expenses for the past year. These include certain health care and education costs.

Receiving Homemaker and Home Health Aide Care

If you are enrolled in VA Health Care and qualify based on need, you can work with your VA social worker who can help you make arrangements for which Home and Community Based services you would like.

Homemaker and Home Health Aide services can be used along with other Home and Community Based Services.

Homemaker Home Health Aides work for an organization such as Traditional Home Care that has a contract with VA. Homemaker or Home Health Aide services can be used as a part of an alternative to nursing home care, and to get Respite Care at home for Veterans and their family caregiver.

Reach out to Traditional Home Care to discuss these options and what we can do to help you through the process.